Friday, April 07, 2006

wildlife!

well costa rica has been a nature trip. Memorably, we saw
coatis, squirrel monkeys, quetzales, bell birds, agoutis, jays, vultures, all kinds of hummingbirds, frigate birds, trogons, iguanas, and memorably a roadside hawk tearing apart its prey, at the roadside. All in the wild! We also saw any number of different birds and butterflies which we didn't manage to identify. Simone, you might want to post some more on here, if you can remember any! Simone also saw a two-tailed sloth and caimans and some more things, because she went on a guided tour whilst I saved my money.

The cloud forest is amazing to walk through, and the birds really don't seem shy of humans at all.

It's funny because wildlife has sort of been a background feature of my trip so far, if that, so it was great to live someone else's trip for a while. And, naturally, it turned out to be super-interesting and I'm really glad I got the opportunity to see it all! And we did our fair share of people-meeting too, what with park rangers, who are always informed and interesting, and our little adventure in cuajaniquil where i inadvertantly er ran out of gas on the way out of the valley, and we spent a good hour begging gallons of gas around town. It was really embarrassing and drove the point home hard about what an offensive beast the Suburban is, that we poured in a huge bucket full of gas, and it only got us the 15 miles to the next town, and gas station. I think I'll have to promise never to drive a car again, to make up for the damage I've done to the environment in the last 7 months...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey babe, I have some exciting news! I'll email you but I thought I'd cover all angles of communication by putting a comment on here. Basically I'm very keen to know your plan for when you'll come home because I really don't want to get married in October without you there...

Simone Webber said...

Two-tailed sloth?! Not unless there was some kind of weird radiation around. Two-toed sloth. :-)

The most amazing thing about Costa Rica, interesting wildlife aside, is its diversity of landscapes. Some areas are all scorched plains and trees dropping leaves because of the heat, and others are constant glistening wet where even the bird calls sound lush and kind of green.

I hope I didn't hijack the trip too much, but it was about time that wildlife made an appearance. I think it would have been hard to go through CR without being affected by it...

Simone

Parl said...

w00t!

many many congratulations beth :)

how about a wedding in buenos aires? i hear its very nice in October. just kidding ;).