Saturday, April 22, 2006

lost car, found god

So, i sold the car, to these nice people!

I visited them in what the guidebook says is a campsite, but which is actually a sort of church retreat place. Of course i was not the first so misinformed, so they, used to such visitors, let me stay. More than that, they offered me a room instead of camping in the car, invited me to eat with them every day, and didn't charge me a cent for anything!

During dinner the first evening I told my story about the import tax, and Heinz showed an interest in buying the car. After 3 days of hilarious 5 hour waits and paperwork shuffling, the car is now his. We agreed that he would pay $1500 for the car, and i would get whatever remained after the tax was charged. I didn't think this would be much, but i didn't feel that i could ask for more than $1500 given the condition of the car, and more to the point its gas consumption. In the end, i ended up legally relieving myself of the car, and with $500 in fresh notes in my pocket. I don't think i got such a bad deal.

However, on the last night, i discovered why everything up to that point had been free: friendly dr erika jekyll turned into evangelical erika hyde! I was subjected to a 90 minute theology lesson which was rendered in such simplistic terms that although initially i felt i was being patronised, i begun to realise about 60 minutes in that in fact it was an insidious form of hypnotism. I was also taken to a church service under the vague impression that it was some kind of "meeting". It was the first time i had been to a church service in a decade, and worse of all all the songs were in spanish and i didnt even know the tunes! Still, it was pretty interesting.

Thankfully i made it out of there with my life and my wits intact, with only a gideon bible in spanish and english on facing pages to remember my ordeal by.

In fact, this strange experience came at a rather odd moment. One might even say that it had been sent by God - to warn me away from Christianity? After finishing reading The Brothers Karamazov, and Strait Is The Gate, both of which deal with the issue of Virtue, in the implied context of Christianity, I was starting to leave behind some of my Humanistic prejudices, and to think that there was something to this whole religion thing after all.

I have always been a little wary of writing off things which have been accepted for centuries as true even when they apparently are not. I had begun reflecting that although there is a difference between a literal truth (eg, Brighton Beach is pebbly) and a metaphorical truth (eg, Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life, and no man cometh to the Father but by him), metaphorical truths are so crucially important in holding societies together, and in fact in allowing the limited human mind to grasp greater things, that to consider them "untrue" is more or less a mistake. I had decided to study religions a little more closely, starting, perhaps, by reading the Bible. When I thought about my beliefs, I thought that perhaps they coincided with those of a Christian closer than I had liked to think.

However, then, like cold water being thrown in my face, I received a reality update. During the ninety minute lesson from Erika, and the 30 minute sermon from German Evangelical Willi, all the doubts from my adolescence which had caused me to abandon Christianity in favour of a humanist based morality ("since we are all that there is, it is doubly important to be nice to each other") resurged.

I will still study the Bible. It is certainly edifying. A book that has lasted 2000 years begs careful examination. But, since I am very certain, after 28 years of reflection, that I will not confuse metaphorical with literal truth, I will never be a Christian, or indeed a Buddhist, or a Pagan, or a Rastafarian.

Religion scares me most and seems most absurd when it is not woven into the societal context in which it exists, and seems most sensible when it is so integrated. This seems to tell me something about the meaning of metaphorical truths. I think that perhaps my problem with a purely hedonistic society such as many seem to live in is that it seems to have /no/ metaphorical truths woven into it.

A diverting episode in the countryside, in which i did more than just sell a big car to an exceedingly friendly, helpful, kind and amiable man.

** I do not intend to insult anyone with this post, and I apologise if I have done so. I am still aware that there is the possibility of a bigger truth out there that I still perhaps just don't see, that others do. But all I can do is reflect what I honestly believe right now. **

*** This post is so inflammatory and so complex that I need at least 5 times the time I actually have to dedicate to it, but unfortunately I am paying by the minute so the raw article will have to do. ***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phew! You had a lucky escape there then! I've only just started reading your blog, via Beth's blog.

I like to keep up with what Beth's friends are doing. Especially those I have met and liked! But you write so well that I am very much enjoying reading about your experiences.

As an ex-evangelical I used to have the key to the meaning of life, but fortunately I lost it! I think your attitude to "truth" and religion is admirable.

And those people you encountered sound like many evangelicals I have known. Great "love one another" attitude; shame about their need to proselytise everyone.

see you at the wedding of the year!

Parl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Parl said...

hi beth's mum, nice of you to drop by! glad you like it.

hmmm an ex-evangelical is an interesting position. we must talk sometime! i think i've thought that before.

what is liberation theology beth? or i could http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com.

well... an organisation is represented by its members, i guess. when that membership is self-defining, its kind of hard to pin anything down!

in a further development, last night over "bombas" (that's what that crazy mix of rum, ice and beer is called apparently -- we added red bull, for fun) i had a good theological chat with a girl from a mennonite community in the US. when i put some of these thoughts to her, she pretty much was on my side, so much so that in the end i figured out she wasn't a Christian at all, even thought she thought she was! Either Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life -- /and the only way to the Father is through him/ -- or not. Or so it seems to me.

But then she also went on and on about what a hassle Latin American men are, then in the bar proceeded to flirt with everyone there, playing her "cute innocent american blonde" card for all it was worth. so people don't always practice what they preach...