Sunday, November 05, 2006

Alien

So, having alienated those few remaining readers who had made it this far, by posting in a foreign language, I now (with an audience of no-one) feel complete freedom to write whatever I please.

Some time has passed without a blog entry. It's hard to blog homecoming. Hard to capture it at all. It's at once such a strange mix of feelings and yet at the same time so horribly cliched. Sometimes I tried to avoid the cliches ("oh you drive on the wrong side, how funny!"), sometimes I just went with it ("oh you call cellphones mobiles!") Probably I mostly annoyed everyone, as people who have "been away" invariably do.

I write now because I have news, mundane, but blogworthy at least. I am taking a job in Holland. A five week software development contract based in Amsterdam. I (re-)pack my bags and travel there on Tuesday. In keeping with the climate-change worries of the times, I am travelling by overnight coach, not on the more-obvious absurdly-cheap easyjet flight. I do take the worries about climate change fairly seriously, notwithstanding an ongoing transatlantic romantic involvement. I doubt I will ever resolve that particular dilemma.

In other news, it has been nice to see everyone and catch up, and relax somewhat into the culture into which I was born. Although everyone in Brighton is now Polish, apparently. Odd. Racists have to work hard to keep up these days. My brother's new house is very nice, and work has immediately begun on Changing Things, in the garden and inside.

Having no audience isn't as freeing as I'd thought. I'm at a loss to know what to report to whom. And that, I think, is the untidy end to that untidy blog post. I'll keep you all up to date on what working in a Dutch energy company is like. I will naturally bike to work every day and eat pancakes regularly!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I still read your Parls of wisdom. Doesn't Blogger give you reader stats ?
Congrats on the job in Amsterdam. Hopefully I'll catch you before you go again.

- Graham.

Unknown said...

Think you've got problems? The webstats suggest the only ppl who read my waffle are my wife, a Northern-Irish bloke we know who lives in Cambridge .. and a few who stumble on it by accident and promptly bugger off without reading.

In a vain attempt to increase my readership, here's the link: http://twopenniesworth.blogspot.com

Oh, and good luck in Amsterdam. Hoegaarden all round ...

Simone Webber said...

Now that is fishing, if I ever saw it. :-)

I'm still here, reading faithfully, but must admit that the Spanish is currently beyond me. I will get round to reading that one day.

In a desperate attempt to regain some French credibility, I am now reading environmental articles in French.

Tell us all about returning; it refreshes our own view on what is around us. I remember when I came back from holiday being really really shocked at quite how bright the London bus red is. Trivial, but it explains why it's such an iconic image of London.

Simone xx