Saturday, August 26, 2006

Culture Shock

Culture shock is not wearing off. Quite the opposite: it is intensifying.

Police. Girls. Dancing. Crime. Climate. Food. Everything is different in ways that are so hard to quantify that often you don't even notice them initially. They become steadily more apparent the longer you stick around, until you suddenly turn around and think, "hang on, I thought I understood that but I don't at all!"

It's hard at times. But as a confirmed challenge-addict, I think that's what I like about it. As long as I'm allowed to let off steam at times. So my anti-Whatever rants on here shouldn't be taken too seriously :).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

unfortunately we are normally too self-absorbed to look at other peoples blogs, that and i don´t like spending more than 2 hours at a time in internet cafes (it normally takes me that much time to write ours)..... however, i am now siting in Quito on a grim day and your ruminations has left me chortling. i might just have a little look now and then in the future. good work matey.
Daniel (as in Daniel and Lora.....)

Anonymous said...

Hi there buddy!!

You are quite inspired in your written machinations!! I laughed my ass off!! The one about love as a piano sure hit a key!! not sure if it was sour or what!!

Well take care and it has been great getting to know you as a mate!!

Federico

Anonymous said...

I'm sure paying £3 for a beer again will be a culture shock for you.

Still is for me every time i go to the pub.