Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Settled

In case it wasn't obvious, I have decided to stay here, "live" here, until October. Although it is nothing like the original aim of my trip, that is OK, because plans are there to be changed. The map is not the territory, remember?

I have bought a laptop and have persuaded my landlord to install a broadband connection. This gives me the possibility of earning money, and also occupies my days.

I am enrolled in a Spanish Course at the Universidad Nacional, which takes up eight hours a week. It is helpful in filling in the gaps in my grammar knowledge. Unfortunately, in terms of practising, it isn't so useful, because although I am making friends from the class, they seem to prefer to speak English except when the class is actually running. Better to just make friends with Colombians and speak Spanish with them. So I am doing that too :).

The longest that one can stay in Colombia without a visa is 6 months, in any one year: that means I can stay until October 29. I am studying until September 12. Beth's wedding is October 21. So I plan to get a standby flight from Air Madrid and return cheaply in late October. Whether or not this is a permanent return to the UK remains to be seen. It occurs to me that whilst the six months following October are generally grim in the UK, in South America it is summer! So perhaps I will return to continue the trip southwards. Either way, I plan to spend a few weeks in the UK in Oct/Nov, so hopefully will be able to doing some catching up!

Right, I have to go to the DAS office to extend my visa. If they deny me, then I have to leave the country in the next three days, so perhaps plans will change and my next blog post will be written on a steamer travelling up the Amazon into darkest Peru!

No comments: